Personal Protection Orders

  • A Personal Protection Order, commonly known as a "PPO." is a court order that protects you from being harassed, beaten, assaulted, molested, wounded, or stalked. The PPO prohibits a named individual from doing these things to you. It also prohibits the named individual from entering your premises and removing your children, unless there is an overriding court order.
  • To obtain a PPO you must go to the Wayne County Circuit Court Third Judicial Circuit - Civil Division
    2 Woodward Avenue
    Detroit, MI 48226
  • You must follow the instructions carefully when filling out the forms. The forms are then forwarded to a Judge. To have a named individual served notice of the PPO, you can contact the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office at 313-224-2222.

Restraining Order Checklist

Taking steps to protect yourself from abuse may cause an increase in the level or type of abuse or retaliation from your abuser. Please trust your instincts. If you are afraid something may happen, take your feelings seriously and protect yourself. You know your situation better than anyone else. We are only making suggestions that may work in your situation.

  • Be alert when leaving the courthouse; or ask for an escort.
  • It may not be a good idea to go directly home.
  • If there are any guns or weapons in your home, the Judge can order the abuser to surrender the guns, and the license to carry the guns.
  • The police can search for and take custody of a gun or weapon if you request it and give them permission to search your home.
  • It is also suggested that you have extra copies of important documents kept in a safe place. Documents would include license, birth certificate, social security numbers, bank account numbers and important phone numbers
  • Inform your neighbors of the situation and let them know the defendant is not allowed on your property or near your apartment or house. Encourage them to call the police if they see the defendant or suspect.
  • If the defendant appears, call the police immediately! Violation of a restraining order/PPO is a criminal offense.
  • Sometimes it helps to dial the police and hang up before it rings, so that the re-dial button will automatically call the police if you need to call the police quickly.
  • You may want to pack an emergency bag with clothes and needed items, (including toys for the kids) and hide them or give them to a friend or family member in case you need to leave your home quickly.
  • If the defendant is threatening to kidnap the children, consider sending them to a safe-place with friends or family for while.
  • Always keep a copy of your restraining order with you. If your children are named in the order, give copies to the school, daycare, babysitter, etc.